Bhutto case: SC for larger bench to hear petition
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Tuesday
ordered the formation of a larger bench to hear an application
seeking the registration of a fresh FIR against 12 people,
including former President Pervez Musharraf and Interior
Minister Rehman Malik, for alleged involvement in the
conspiracy to assassinate Benazir Bhutto.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar
Chaudhry issued the order after hearing arguments on the
application filed by Mohammad Aslam Chaudhry, who served as
Bhutto`s protocol officer for about two decades.
The bench sought responses from the Attorney General and
the 12 respondents, including Musharraf, PML-Q leader and
former Punjab Chief Minister Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi, Interior
Minister Rehman Malik, Pakistan People`s Party leader Babar
Awan, former Intelligence Bureau chief Ejaz Shah, former
Interior Secretary Kamal Shah and former caretaker Interior
Minister Hamid Nawaz Khan.
The apex court also sought the records of the trial by an
anti-terrorism court of several suspects charged with
involvement in the December 2007 assassination of Bhutto.
The court said in its order that a larger bench would take
up the case after two weeks.
Aslam Chaudhry had approached the apex court after the
Lahore High Court turned down his petition for registering a
fresh FIR against the 12 people, whom he alleged were involved
in a conspiracy against Bhutto.
The former protocol officer was injured in the suicide
attack that killed Bhutto.
During today`s proceedings, the bench headed by the Chief
Justice observed that no legal heir of Bhutto had filed an FIR
regarding her assassination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'