Bhutto probe: Pak denies UN panel access to top Army officers
Islamabad: The UN probe into the killing of former premier Benazir Bhutto has hit a roadblock with the Pakistan government denying access to top military officials, including powerful Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.
The UN inquiry commission headed by Ambassador Heraldo Munoz had submitted a written request some time ago for access to senior military officials, including Kayani, former ISI chief Lt Gen Nadeem Taj and ex-Military Intelligence head Lt Gen Nadeem Ejaz Mian.
After thorough consultations within the government, the UN panel was informed in writing that access to military officials could not be granted, Dawn News channel reported quoting an unnamed top government official.
There was no official word on the development.
The UN panel had sought access to the serving Pakistani military officials shortly after it interviewed former president Pervez Musharraf in New York in November last year.
Acting on a request from the Pakistan People`s Party-led government, the UN appointed a three-member inquiry commission to determine the facts and circumstances of Bhutto`s assassination on December 27, 2007.
The panel is not expected to name suspected culprits and any criminal investigation will be up to Pakistani authorities. According to the terms of reference of the commission, the UN had demanded that it should enjoy complete cooperation from the Pakistan government.
The terms of reference state that the Pakistan government "shall comply with the requests of the commission for assistance in collecting the required information and testimony, and shall provide it with the necessary facilities to enable it to discharge its mandate."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical