Biden downplays ISI links with terror groups
Washington: Acknowledging that some people in Pakistan`s intelligence community had supported the Taliban in the past, US Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday said the situation is now "changing".
In an interview to the NBC news channel, Biden downplayed the documents which highlighted the links between ISI and terror outfits and said that has been a problem in the past.
"That has been a problem in the past. It is a problem we`re dealing with and is changing," Biden said in response to a question.
The recently leaked classified documents on the war in Afghanistan had revealed that ISI maintains its links with al Qaeda and the Taliban, but also helped them in attacking the US forces in the country.
Biden also asserted that no amount of US aid to Pakistan is being diverted for purposes other than it are meant.
"Look, all those leaks predate our policy. Not one leak is consistent with the policy that was announced in December," he said.
"What isn`t happening is there are not monies being diverted from the public works and economic projects that are needed to sustain a democracy in Pakistan to the bad guys that exist within Pakistan," Biden said.
"There`s not money being diverted from the military purposes that are designed to deal with counterterrorism to those areas," he said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter