Bilawal launches PPP election campaign in low-key manner
Karachi: Bilawal Bhutto Zardari on Thursday launched the Pakistan People`s Party`s election campaign in a low-key manner, invoking the legacy of the Bhutto family while calling on people to back the party in the May 11 election.
Addressing a gathering of hundreds of PPP leaders and workers in the Bhutto family`s traditional stronghold of Naudero in Sindh province at about 1.30 am, Bilawal listed the achievements of his grandfather Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto and mother Benazir Bhutto as he made an emotional appeal to voters.
"Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto`s grandson and Benazir Bhutto`s son is calling on you today. This is a movement of peace and it will rest only after ushering in peace and security in Pakistan," 24-year-old Bilawal said in the speech that was aired live on state-run television.
Describing the PPP`s election symbol of the arrow as a "symbol of democracy", he urged people to vote for the party.
In an effort to address reports of his differences with President Asif Ali Zardari`s sister Faryal Talpur, Bilawal asked PPP supporters to vote for his aunt as she was safeguarding "his seat" in parliament.
Bilawal also asked the people to pledge that they would make the PPP victorious in polls and exhorted party workers to back former premiers Yousuf Raza Gilani and Raja Pervez Ashraf during the election campaign.
He led the crowd in chanting emotional slogans about his grandfather and mother and their sacrifices and achievements.
The PPP organised the gathering of its workers behind closed doors in Naudero after cancelling a major public rally that is organised every year on April 4 to mark the death anniversary of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, the founder of the party.
PPP leaders said the rally was cancelled due to security concerns and also because party workers were busy with the scrutiny of nomination papers.
Bilawal left Pakistan for Dubai last month after a tiff with Zardari and Talpur over the management of the party’s affairs. After spending over a week abroad, Bilawal returned to Pakistan after Zardari flew to Dubai to persuade him to come back, PPP insiders said.
PPP leaders have said Bilawal will address several rallies but will not lead the party`s campaign.
Zardari too addressed the gathering and listed the achievements of the PPP-led government but did not make any appeal to voters, apparently due to rulings from courts that the President should remain impartial in politics.
Only the state-owned PTV was allowed to cover the meeting live as all other media channels were barred from coverage.
Analysts believe other parties like the PML-N and Imran Khan`s Tehrik-e-Insaf have taken the lead on the campaign trail by organising mammoth rallies in different parts of the country.
During his speech, Bilawal said his father, President Zardari, had kept Pakistan above everything else.
The PPP-led government started the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline and opened the Gwadar port to the world.
"Terrorists were ousted from Swat and the writ of the state was restored but injustice continued against the PPP. Once again, we had to make the round of courts and there was the Swiss letter drama. One Prime Minister was sent home and order was issued to arrest another. We had no occasion to even breathe," he said.
Bilawal was referring to the Supreme Court`s actions to revive graft cases against Zardari.
Gilani was convicted of contempt after he refused to reopen the cases and had to step down as the premier.
Bilawal said the party`s manifesto in the coming elections retained the slogan raised by ZA Bhutto, "Roti, Kapra aur Makan" (food, clothes and house).
Zulfiqar Bhutto was hanged 34 years ago by military dictator Zia-ul Haq after being toppled by the army. Bilawal`s mother Benazir Bhutto was killed in a gun and suicide attack during an election rally in Rawalpindi in 2007.
Zardari said many forces were hatching conspiracies against democracy but he was hopeful that real democracy would flourish in Pakistan with the support of the people.
"We took bold decisions in the larger interest of the country and the people, and to secure the future of our coming generations despite many challenges," he said.
The PPP-led government had proved that only democracy was a cure to all ills and the people could not be fooled through any drama, Zardari said.
He said he preferred to write history instead of remaining only in the media headlines.
The PPP made history by transferring all powers to the elected Prime Minister and parliament, which amounted to empowering the people, he said.
"It is the PPP`s policy that power rests with the people," he added.
Zardari acknowledged that there were shortcomings during the past five years of democratic rule and compared democracy to a tree that sways when young but stands firm when it grows tall.
"We have put the country on the right path and today democracy stands strong," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22