Bilawal stresses on protecting minorities
Islamabad: Pakistan People`s Party chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari on Monday reacted to the desecration of an Ahmadi graveyard and the demolition of a Hindu temple by saying that such incidents, if left unchecked, would pose a threat to the existence of Pakistan.
Taking strong exception to the latest attacks on minorities, Bilawal said the "continuing attacks on minorities, if unchecked, would threaten the very existence of Pakistan".
In a statement issued in response to the two incidents, the nominal head of the ruling party urged political parties, religious groups and civil society organisations to "rise up to defend Jinnah`s Pakistan that guarantees protecting fundamental rights of minorities".
He called on provincial governments and law enforcement agencies to do their best to protect the fundamental rights of minorities.
Attacks on temples, graveyards, properties and lives of the minorities are "an attack on Jinnah`s vision of Pakistan and pose an existential threat to the country", he said.
A group of armed men vandalised some 120 graves at an Ahmadi cemetery in Lahore yesterday.
The men, who belonged to a hardline sect, destroyed the headstones on the graves, saying they could bear Quranic inscriptions as Ahmadis were not Muslims.
Pakistan’s Ahmadis consider themselves Muslim but were declared non-Muslims through a constitutional amendment in 1974.
On Saturday, a builder demolished the century-old Shri Rama Pir Mandir and the nearby homes of several Hindu families in Karachi though the Sindh High Court is hearing a petition seeking a stay on any move to demolish the shrine.
Bilawal’s father President Asif Ali Zardari has taken notice of the demolition and sought a report from authorities in Karachi.
Bilawal said in his message that his mother, slain former premier Benazir Bhutto, gave her life fighting the mindset that perpetrated actions like violence against the minorities.
"Our forefathers did not give their lives for an intolerant, extremist, sectarian and authoritarian Pakistan. I appeal you to rise up to defend Jinnah`s Pakistan. I and my party will stand by you, shoulder to shoulder," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in