Bilawal to contest 2013 elections from Lyari
Karachi: Former Pakistan Premier Benazir
Bhutto`s son and PPP`s heir apparent, Bilawal, will test
electoral waters for the first time in 2013 from the party
stronghold of Lyari, his father, President Asif Ali Zardari
announced on Monday.
Zardari said at a meeting of the Pakistan Peoples
Party coordination committee here that Bilawal Bhutto Zardari
will return to Pakistan in September and contest from Lyari in
the 2013 general election.
Zardari chaired the meeting held to discuss welfare
and development package for the low income Lyari area which
has been hit by gang wars in recent times. The meeting was
also attended by Sindh province chief minister, Qaim Ali Shah,
who discussed the troubled situation in Lyari.
Sindh information minister, Sharjeel Memon later told
newsmen that Zardari made the announcement about Bilawal
contesting elections from Lyari after some members of the area
complained to him about elected members from the area never
visiting or interacting with the people.
Memon said: "Bilawal has specifically expressed
interest in working with the party`s youth wing, which was
very dear to the late Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto".
PPP leader Farahnaz Isphahani said Bilawal is looking
at modernising the Peoples Youth Organisation, and bringing in
new ideas like media technology through intellectual and
Bilawal, who turns 23 this September, is two years
away from being eligible to run for a provincial or national
Having graduated from Oxford University last year, he
could emerge as PPP`s much-needed progressive voice, given
what appears to be his interest in social issues and stance on
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!