BlackBerry phones of Haqqani, Ijaz to be tested
Islamabad: The BlackBerry handsets of former Pakistani envoy to US, Husain Haqqani, and Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz, the main characters involved in the memo scandal, will undergo forensic tests in London.
Forensic experts have reached the Pakistan High Commission in London to examine the handsets, Geo News reported.
Haqqani was forced to resign last year after Ijaz claimed he had asked him to pass on a memo from President Asif Ali Zardari to then chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen, seeking help from the US government in case of a military coup in Pakistan following the killing of Osama bin Laden.
Haqqani was recalled from Washington and faced a Supreme Court enquiry.
Ijaz was scheduled to appear before the forensic experts but Haqqani has expressed his lack of confidence in the experts and refused to appear before them, the report said.
The judicial commission probing the scandal had issued notices to both parties to either appear in person or instruct their representatives to appear before the forensic experts at the High Commission.
In February, Ijaz handed over to the commission four pages of his Blackberry bill detailing his communications with Haqqani.
Haqqani`s counsel Zahid Bukhari, however, said the pages did not carry names and numbers and were illegible.
Ijaz also said he had written the controversial memo after receiving points from Haqqani and then delivered it to US National Security Advisor James Jones.
He said Haqqani had "directives" from Zardari on delivering the memo to Washington.
"It was my understanding that Haqqani had directives from the Pakistani President," Ijaz said while recording his testimony at the High Commision.
"Haqqani said (in the memo) that the civilian government needs to be strengthened against the `bad boys`,” Ijaz said.
The term "bad boys" referred to Army Chief (General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani) or ISI chief (Lt Gen Ahmad Shuja Pasha), he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened