Blast in Afghan capital amid security transition
Kabul: At least three civilians were killed and many others wounded on Tuesday morning when a suicide bombing hit west of Afghan capital Kabul, witnesses said.
"A suicide bomber targeted the convoy of Hajji Mohammad Muaqiq, a member of lower house of Afghan parliament but Muaqiq escaped the attack," a witness said.
The attack took place in Pul-e-Surkh area, where the Afghan Human Rights office is also located. The blast went off at around 9:10 a.m. local time, sending a thick black smoke above the area, the witness said.
The government troops immediately cordoned off the area shortly after the blast. Police kept people away from gathering at the scene for fears that there might be a second blast.
Three civilian passersby are confirmed dead and several other were wounded, local TV channel Tolo News reported.
The incident took place hours before the country announces the final phase of security transition from U.S. and NATO troops to the Afghan army and police. The incident happened while the security in Kabul was tightening as an official ceremony is underway to mark the security transition.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet, but Taliban suspects routinely claim responsibility for such attacks. On June 11, the Taliban carried out a suicide car bombing on the Supreme Court in central Kabul, killing 17 people and injuring 50 others.
The Taliban -led insurgency has been rampant since the militant group launched annual rebel offensive in April against Afghan government forces and about 100,000 NATO-led troops stationed in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves