Blast in Pakistan`s Peshawar city kills five
Islamabad:A suicide bomber targeted a police vehicle in Peshawar city of northwest Pakistan Wednesday, killing five persons, including a senior police officer, and injuring about 30 others, officials and witnesses said.
Superintendent of Police Hilal Haider and three others were killed when the officer`s vehicle was hit by the blast outside a police station near the famous Qissa Khwani Bazar in the heart of Peshawar, the capital of the restive Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
Some 30 injured people were taken to a nearby hospital, where officials described the condition of six persons, including a policeman, as serious. A woman was among the injured.
TV news channels reported that the police vehicle was targeted by a suicide bomber though there was no official word on this.
The vehicle was reduced to a mangled heap of metal.
Witnesses said they had seen blood and body parts at the site of the attack.
The market was closed soon after the blast, which created panic in the area.
Security forces cordoned off the area as members of the bomb disposal squad scoured the site for clues.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, which has killed scores of police and security personnel over the past five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America