Blast rips through security forces vehicle in Pak, three killed
Karachi: Three security personnel were killed and eight persons injured when a powerful explosion ripped through a security forces vehicle in this southern Pakistani port city on Wednesday.
The explosion occurred near an office of the Pakistan Rangers at Korangi area of Karachi at about 7.30 pm.
Three Pakistan Rangers personnel died in the attack, security officials told the media.
Five security personnel and three passers-by were injured, officials and witnesses said.
A security forces van was destroyed by the blast.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Tahir Naveed told reporters that the blast had targeted the security forces vehicle.
He said the attack could have been carried out in retaliation to an operation launched by security forces against criminals and militants in Karachi.
Footage on television showed the body of one paramilitary personnel, covered with a white sheet, lying on a stretcher outside the state-run Jinnah Hospital.
Officials at the hospital said two of the wounded were in a serious condition.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Over the past few days, the Pakistan Rangers and police have targeted members of the Taliban and other banned groups in several parts of Karachi, the country`s largest city.
Security personnel arrested several militants and seized sophisticated weapons and explosives during the crackdown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan