Blasts rock musical performance in Lahore; 9 injured
Lahore: Two low-intensity blasts occurred near a popular cafe here on Sunday, at a time when a musical performance was underway, injuring nine people including relatives of Justice (retired) Rana Bhagwandas.
"Two low-intensity devices went off outside a wall of the museum of Peeru`s Cafe in Raiwind," Superintendent of Police Rana Mansoorul Haq said.
Faizan Peerzada, a director of the theatre group that operates the cafe, said the two devices exploded within 20 minutes of each other.
Peeru`s Cafe is part of the Rafi Peer theatre group`s complex on Raiwind Road and the organisation`s weekly `qawwali` programme and a ghazal programme was underway at the time of the blasts.
SP Haq said the motive behind the blasts seemed to be to terrorise people attending such musical shows.
Former Supreme Court judge Rana Bhagwandas, who now heads the Federal Public Service Commission, was attending the musical performance with members of his family.
He escaped unhurt but media reports said two of his relatives sustained minor injuries.
Peerzada said: "Thanks god, Justice Bhagwandas remained safe. It was a terror attack but we will not be terrorised".
The blasts damaged the wall of the cafe and smashed the windows of nearby buildings.
Rescue workers evacuated the cafe after the explosions while the bomb disposal squad searched the area.
Several cinema halls and theatres in Lahore were targeted with low-intensity bombs in a similar manner some time ago to terrorise visitors.
"The hardliners want us to close such activities," Peerzada said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’