Blocking cell phone services cannot stop us: Pak Taliban
Islamabad: The Pakistani Taliban on Friday ridiculed the government`s move to suspend mobile phone services at select locations to prevent terror attacks, saying it would have no impact on their activities.
"We do not carry out bombings through mobile phones. The Taliban cannot be stopped by jamming mobile phone services," Ihsanullah Ihsan, spokesman of the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, said.
"We would achieve our targets in any case, Ihsan was quoted as saying by the website of the Dawn newspaper.
The militant spokesman gave his views hours after Interior Minister Rehman Malik told reporters in Islamabad that mobile services had been shut down across Karachi and Quetta and in parts of Islamabad as mobile SIMs had been used to trigger explosives in "90 per cent" of bomb attacks.
Malik announced that mobile services would be suspended in dozens of cities from tomorrow till Sunday to prevent terror attacks on Shia processions organised to mark the Islamic month of Muharram.
Malik claimed Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakeemullah Mehsud was behind terror attacks.
"I challenge Hakeemullah, who says he is a Muslim and wants to bring in Shariah, to tell me where in Islam is it written that you should kill your brothers and sisters with bombs," Malik said.
The Taliban spokesman, however, claimed Malik was blocking cellular services for "his own personal business interests."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day