BNP to protest indictment of Khaleda Zia`s son
Dhaka: Bangladesh`s main opposition party
BNP will hold a nationwide protest against the indictment of
the fugitive eldest son of former premier Khaleda Zia in a
2004 grenade attack on an Awami League rally that had injured
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Enamul Haque on Sunday issued arrest warrants against Tarique Rahman and 17 others
over the August 21 bomb attack on the Awami League rally that
killed 24 people and injured some 300 people, including
Mirza Fakhrul Islam, the acting secretary-general of
Bangladesh Nationalist Party, announced in the capital the
protest planned for tomorrow, the private bdnews24 online
The BNP will also protest the "attack" on a party
procession after the Criminal Investigation Department (CID)
today submitted the supplementary chargesheet in the case, the
Rahman, who is now in London on a government parole
for treatment since 2008, was indicted for abetting one of the
worst political violence in the country in decades that led to
severe injury to one of Hasina`s ears.
CID formally charged Rahman, the senior vice president
of main opposition BNP, and 29 others for the attack after an
"extended investigation" into the case.
"We have submitted the supplementary chargesheet after
an extended investigation into the case," CID’s special
superintendent Abdul Kahhar Akhand said.
Rahman, the son of the BNP supremo, is also an accused
in several other criminal and graft cases pending for trial.
Akhand said their re-investigation suggested that
operatives of militant Harkatul Jihad al Islami (HuJI) carried
out the attack, which was backed by several stalwarts of the
earlier BNP-led four-party coalition government and security
and police officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!