BNP to protest indictment of Khaleda Zia`s son
Dhaka: Bangladesh`s main opposition party
BNP will hold a nationwide protest against the indictment of
the fugitive eldest son of former premier Khaleda Zia in a
2004 grenade attack on an Awami League rally that had injured
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Enamul Haque on Sunday issued arrest warrants against Tarique Rahman and 17 others
over the August 21 bomb attack on the Awami League rally that
killed 24 people and injured some 300 people, including
Mirza Fakhrul Islam, the acting secretary-general of
Bangladesh Nationalist Party, announced in the capital the
protest planned for tomorrow, the private bdnews24 online
The BNP will also protest the "attack" on a party
procession after the Criminal Investigation Department (CID)
today submitted the supplementary chargesheet in the case, the
Rahman, who is now in London on a government parole
for treatment since 2008, was indicted for abetting one of the
worst political violence in the country in decades that led to
severe injury to one of Hasina`s ears.
CID formally charged Rahman, the senior vice president
of main opposition BNP, and 29 others for the attack after an
"extended investigation" into the case.
"We have submitted the supplementary chargesheet after
an extended investigation into the case," CID’s special
superintendent Abdul Kahhar Akhand said.
Rahman, the son of the BNP supremo, is also an accused
in several other criminal and graft cases pending for trial.
Akhand said their re-investigation suggested that
operatives of militant Harkatul Jihad al Islami (HuJI) carried
out the attack, which was backed by several stalwarts of the
earlier BNP-led four-party coalition government and security
and police officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?