Boat capsizes off Bangladesh Island, 99 missing
Dhaka: At least 99 people went missing after a motorboat with 110 illegal migrants on board capsized in the Bay of Bengal close to Bangladeshi southeastern border with Myanmar, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
"We`ve rescued 11 passengers of the boat," said Lt. Col. Zahid Hasan, commanding officer of the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) unit.
Of the eleven, the official said, two are Rohingya refugees while nine come from various Bangladesh districts. The survivors said they were going to Malaysia in search of work.
He said BGB, Bangladesh Navy and Bangladesh Coast Guard personnel rushed to the accident site to rescue the victims with the help of fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31