Boat capsizes off Bangladesh Island, 99 missing
Dhaka: At least 99 people went missing after a motorboat with 110 illegal migrants on board capsized in the Bay of Bengal close to Bangladeshi southeastern border with Myanmar, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
"We`ve rescued 11 passengers of the boat," said Lt. Col. Zahid Hasan, commanding officer of the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) unit.
Of the eleven, the official said, two are Rohingya refugees while nine come from various Bangladesh districts. The survivors said they were going to Malaysia in search of work.
He said BGB, Bangladesh Navy and Bangladesh Coast Guard personnel rushed to the accident site to rescue the victims with the help of fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog