Boat capsizes off Bangladesh Island, 99 missing
Dhaka: At least 99 people went missing after a motorboat with 110 illegal migrants on board capsized in the Bay of Bengal close to Bangladeshi southeastern border with Myanmar, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
"We`ve rescued 11 passengers of the boat," said Lt. Col. Zahid Hasan, commanding officer of the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) unit.
Of the eleven, the official said, two are Rohingya refugees while nine come from various Bangladesh districts. The survivors said they were going to Malaysia in search of work.
He said BGB, Bangladesh Navy and Bangladesh Coast Guard personnel rushed to the accident site to rescue the victims with the help of fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding