Bomb attacks kill 53 people in Pakistan
Peshawar: At least 53 people were killed and nearly 140 injured in Pakistan on Sunday in different attacks, including a powerful bomb blast that targeted a passing convoy of security forces.
In the first incident, at least 17 people, including four children, were killed and nearly 50 injured when the powerful remote-controlled bomb targeted a passing convoy of security forces near a busy market here in northwest Pakistan.
The blast, believed to be an IED explosion, targeted the convoy of Frontier Corps on their way to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa`s capital Peshawar from Kohat district but narrowly missed it.
Javed Marwat, Deputy Commissioner of Peshawar, said, "17 people were killed in the remote control blast."
In the second deadliest attack, two bomb blasts near a Shiite mosque killed at least 29 people in southwestern city of Quetta.
The suspected suicide bombing near Abu Talib Imambargah at the Shiite-majority Hazara town also injured over 70 persons.
In South Waziristan, a rocket attack killed four people and injured 15 others while in the North Waziristan tribal region, a roadside bomb killed three security personnel, officials said.
Marwat told reporters that the injured were shifted to Lady Reading Hospital and condition of some of them were critical.
According to police, the bomb was planted in a car and was triggered when the convoy approached was passing through Badaber area of Peshawar.
Bomb Disposal Squad official Abdul Haq said 40-50 KG of explosives were used in the blast, which also destroyed 10 vehicles and several shops.
After the blast, gunshots were exchanged between security forces and the terrorists.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif have strongly condemned the blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire