Bomb blast rocks Pakistan`s Quetta city; 63 dead, 200 injured
Islamabad: At least 63 people were killed and more than 200 others injured in a powerful remote-controlled bomb blast targeting Shiite Muslims in Quetta city of Balochistan province here on Saturday.
The explosion took place near a school at Kirani Road, surrounding to which stays a sizeable Shia population that has been targeted by terrorists in the past.
The bomb which was planted in an auto-rickshaw, blew out windows and damaged several residential buildings and shops too. Footage on television showed a plume of smoke rising into the sky after the blast.
Police officials and paramilitary troops have cordoned off the entire area and injured have been rushed to Bolan Med Complex of Quetta amid high security.
"The blast took place on Kirana road market and it was through a remote controlled device," DIG Wazir Khan Nasir said to the reporters.
"All the dead were from the Hazara community and the casualties might rise as the bomb explosion caused lot of damage," DIG confirmed.
Mutthaida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leader, Dr Farooq Sattar confirmed at a press conference in Karachi that more than 35 people belonging to the Hazara Shia community had been killed in the blast.
However, rescue officials have confirmed that more than 60 people, including women and children were killed while around 200 were injured in the blast.
Till now the nature and target of the blast is not clear as media and residents are kept away from the targeted area.
However, some eyewitnesses coming from the site told media that the blast destroyed several shops, houses and vehicles. Hospital sources said the death toll may rise further as several people among the injured were in critical condition.
Yet now no group have claimed the responsibility for the blast.
However, similar attacks in the recent past have been blamed on the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, a notorious militant group that often targets Shias.
On January 10, a twin suicide attack in Quetta killed 92 Hazara Shias, the highest toll in a single attack on Shias, who make up 20 per cent of Pakistan`s population of 180 million.
Following the attack, the federal government imposed Governor`s Rule in Balochistan province.
After today`s blast the powerful Shia organisation, Wahdatul Muslimeen, announced a strike in Balochistan province tomorrow.
People in a large number took to the streets in many areas of the city and protested the blast, pelting vehicles with stones and blocking roads.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf condemned the attack and reiterated the government`s resolve to continue the fight against militants.
Ashraf directed provincial authorities to arrest the perpetrators of the blast.
"We will not be intimidated by such cowardly acts and such acts will not deter our resolve to fight terrorism," he said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared