Bomb blast rocks Pakistan`s Quetta city; 63 dead, 200 injured
Islamabad: At least 63 people were killed and more than 200 others injured in a powerful remote-controlled bomb blast targeting Shiite Muslims in Quetta city of Balochistan province here on Saturday.
The explosion took place near a school at Kirani Road, surrounding to which stays a sizeable Shia population that has been targeted by terrorists in the past.
The bomb which was planted in an auto-rickshaw, blew out windows and damaged several residential buildings and shops too. Footage on television showed a plume of smoke rising into the sky after the blast.
Police officials and paramilitary troops have cordoned off the entire area and injured have been rushed to Bolan Med Complex of Quetta amid high security.
"The blast took place on Kirana road market and it was through a remote controlled device," DIG Wazir Khan Nasir said to the reporters.
"All the dead were from the Hazara community and the casualties might rise as the bomb explosion caused lot of damage," DIG confirmed.
Mutthaida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leader, Dr Farooq Sattar confirmed at a press conference in Karachi that more than 35 people belonging to the Hazara Shia community had been killed in the blast.
However, rescue officials have confirmed that more than 60 people, including women and children were killed while around 200 were injured in the blast.
Till now the nature and target of the blast is not clear as media and residents are kept away from the targeted area.
However, some eyewitnesses coming from the site told media that the blast destroyed several shops, houses and vehicles. Hospital sources said the death toll may rise further as several people among the injured were in critical condition.
Yet now no group have claimed the responsibility for the blast.
However, similar attacks in the recent past have been blamed on the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, a notorious militant group that often targets Shias.
On January 10, a twin suicide attack in Quetta killed 92 Hazara Shias, the highest toll in a single attack on Shias, who make up 20 per cent of Pakistan`s population of 180 million.
Following the attack, the federal government imposed Governor`s Rule in Balochistan province.
After today`s blast the powerful Shia organisation, Wahdatul Muslimeen, announced a strike in Balochistan province tomorrow.
People in a large number took to the streets in many areas of the city and protested the blast, pelting vehicles with stones and blocking roads.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf condemned the attack and reiterated the government`s resolve to continue the fight against militants.
Ashraf directed provincial authorities to arrest the perpetrators of the blast.
"We will not be intimidated by such cowardly acts and such acts will not deter our resolve to fight terrorism," he said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow