Bomb blasts kill 10 police in southern Afghanistan
Kabul: Separate bomb blasts in volatile southern Afghanistan killed 10 police and wounded nine civilians, officials said on Sunday.
The police were killed late on Saturday when their vehicle hit an improvised explosive device (IED), or home-made bomb, in Kandahar province, the spiritual home of the insurgent Taliban.
"The police were travelling in a police vehicle which struck an IED and some of the police died and some of them were injured. The injured died later in hospital," said General Abdul Raziq, the Kandahar police chief.
In the city of Lashkar Gah on Sunday, in the neighbouring province of Helmand, another improvised bomb wounded nine people, Interior Ministry spokesman Siddiq Siddiqi said.
The latest southern unrest comes at a critical juncture in the nearly 10-year war on Taliban-led insurgents, as thousands of US surge troops prepare to go home and other Western nations announce limited withdrawals of soldiers.
All foreign combat forces are due to leave Afghanistan by the end of 2014.
NATO is meanwhile probing the Taliban`s claim that they shot down a helicopter late on Friday killing a team of 30 American troops, many of whom were special forces, and seven Afghan commandos.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway