Bomb in southern Afghanistan kills 3 civilians
Kandahar: A motorcycle-rickshaw packed with explosives blew up as it was driving on the outskirts of southern Afghanistan`s main city on Monday, killing two civilians, officials said.
The driver of the motorcycle appeared to be on his way to Kandahar city when the bomb detonated inadvertently, said Kandahar provincial government spokesman Zalmai Ayubi.
The explosion, which killed two bystanders and wounded more than 10 others, did not appear to be a targeted attack, according to Ayubi and Provincial Police Chief General Abdul Raziq.
However, Border and Tribal Affairs Minister Asadullah Khalid said his car was nearby when the bomb went off, suggesting that he may have been the target. Khalid said on Afghan television that he was driving toward development projects in Kandahar when the bomb exploded near his vehicle. He was not injured.
Civilian deaths have increased greatly in Afghanistan in recent years, largely because of insurgent bomb attacks.
Also on Monday, a suicide bomber in an Army uniform tried to force his way into the branch of Kabul Bank, which pays military salaries, on an Army base in Kandahar city. A soldier guarding the entrance saw the explosives strapped to the man`s body and started shooting at him, killing the attacker but also detonating the bomb strapped to his body, said General Mohammad Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for the Afghan Defence Ministry.
The attacker was killed, along with the soldier who shot him, Azimi said. Two other soldiers were wounded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway