Bomb in southern Afghanistan kills 3 civilians
Kandahar: A motorcycle-rickshaw packed with explosives blew up as it was driving on the outskirts of southern Afghanistan`s main city on Monday, killing two civilians, officials said.
The driver of the motorcycle appeared to be on his way to Kandahar city when the bomb detonated inadvertently, said Kandahar provincial government spokesman Zalmai Ayubi.
The explosion, which killed two bystanders and wounded more than 10 others, did not appear to be a targeted attack, according to Ayubi and Provincial Police Chief General Abdul Raziq.
However, Border and Tribal Affairs Minister Asadullah Khalid said his car was nearby when the bomb went off, suggesting that he may have been the target. Khalid said on Afghan television that he was driving toward development projects in Kandahar when the bomb exploded near his vehicle. He was not injured.
Civilian deaths have increased greatly in Afghanistan in recent years, largely because of insurgent bomb attacks.
Also on Monday, a suicide bomber in an Army uniform tried to force his way into the branch of Kabul Bank, which pays military salaries, on an Army base in Kandahar city. A soldier guarding the entrance saw the explosives strapped to the man`s body and started shooting at him, killing the attacker but also detonating the bomb strapped to his body, said General Mohammad Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for the Afghan Defence Ministry.
The attacker was killed, along with the soldier who shot him, Azimi said. Two other soldiers were wounded.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark