Bomb kills 10 security officers in Pakistan
Peshawar: A landmine attack and ambush
killed 10 Pakistani troops near the Afghan border on Wednesday, in a
sign that violence is spreading away from the frontlines of a major anti-Taliban offensive.
Pakistan has pressed around 30,000 forces, backed by
war planes and attack helicopters, into battle in a
US-endorsed mission to wipe out the chief strongholds of
Tehreek-e-Taliban in the tribal district of South Waziristan.
The district, one of seven in Pakistan`s tribal belt,
is in the border area with Afghanistan where US officials say
al Qaeda is plotting attacks on the West and Islamist
militants are embedded in large swathes of the mountains.
Today`s deaths were reported in Mohmand, where the
paramilitary Frontier Corps has been operating for well over a
year against the Taliban, and after security officials warned
that the militants are stepping up attacks elsewhere.
"Eight soldiers were martyred and two were wounded
when their vehicle hit a landmine buried on the roadside,"
Major Fazal ur-Rehman, spokesman for the paramilitary Frontier
Corps, said a news agency.
The attack happened on the outskirts of Safi town near
the Afghan border in Mohmand tribal district, the paramilitary
"The soldiers were on a routine patrol. The landmine
was buried by militants. The explosion damaged the pick-up,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam