Bomb kills 9 inside elite Afghanistan’s housing complex
Kabul: A car bomb exploded inside an elite gated community linked to the family of Afghan President Hamid Karzai this evening, killing at least nine people and wounding more than 70 near the southern city of Kandahar, an official said.
The blast happened inside Aino Mina, a housing complex on the northern outskirts of the city that was developed in part by Mahmood Karzai, the president`s younger brother.
Kandahar government spokesman Javeed Faisal said the car bomb exploded next to a restaurant area where families were dining.
Three police were among the dead, he said, adding that an investigation is underway into how the explosives-laden vehicle slipped past the community`s heavy security.
Aino Mina is home to thousands of Afghan government officials, businessmen and other wealthy citizens who pay some USD 90,000 for a three-bedroom house on grounds featuring parks, a jogging track and a football field.
Residents have special identification badges and cars are typically searched before entering the gates.
Mahmood Karzai was one of the main investors into the project, promoted as a triumph of modernity in Kandahar, which is the spiritual birthplace of the Taliban insurgency.
Dr Samad Ahmadi said at least nine bodies had been brought to Mirwais Hospital and many of the dozens of wounded were in critical condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon