Bomb kills Afghan woman, five children in Taliban home
Kabul: A bomb killed five young children and a woman when it exploded after being made at the home of a Taliban commander in eastern Afghanistan, a government official said on Friday.
The device detonated yesterday while children were playing with it after the Taliban commander, identified only as Abdullah, left the house, a spokesman for the local government in Paktika province said.
"Yesterday morning a Taliban commander, Abdullah, was making a bomb in his home to plant along the road and kill Afghan forces," spokesman Mokhlis Afghan told AFP.
"After a while, Abdullah left home, and the children came and played with the mine, and it detonated inside the house."
He said a woman and five children, aged three to seven, were killed.
Roadside bombs are the weapon of choice for Taliban insurgents fighting against Afghan government troops and their NATO military allies.
But civilians and children are also often killed and wounded by the attacks.
According to the United Nations, civilian deaths rose by 24 percent in the first half of 2013.
It registered 2,499 civilian casualties between January and June, attributing 74 per cent to anti-government forces and nine per cent to pro-government forces.
Children accounted for 21 per cent of all civilians killed and wounded, and casualties caused by roadside bombs had risen 41 per cent, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video