Bonhomie evident in New Delhi talks: Pak daily
Islamabad: Bonhomie was evident in the talks between the Pakistani and Indian foreign ministers, a leading Pakistani daily said on Friday, noting the welcome absence of rancour in the dialogue process.
An editorial in Dawn said that the barring Indian Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao`s disapproval of Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar`s meeting with Hurriyat leaders, the talks "concluded on a note of mutual satisfaction".
"Conspicuous by its welcome absence was rancour; in evidence was bonhomie."
Khar had met her Indian counterpart SM Krishna in New Delhi on July 27 following which the two countries announced they had sought to open a new chapter of "peaceful and cooperative" ties by pledging to intensify counter-terror cooperation and unveiled a host of initiatives to spur trade and travel between the divided halves of Kashmir.
The editorial said the joint statement itself contained nothing that could be considered a breakthrough.
"But, given the complicated nature of the Indo-Pakistan relationship and the intractable nature of some `core` issues, nobody really expected one. Nevertheless, what Pakistan`s foreign minister and her Indian counterpart, have achieved arouses hopes for a tension-free relationship between the two South Asian neighbours.”
"This in itself is an achievement upon which the two governments need to build."
It added that "Mumbai-2 did not cast its shadow over the talks; neither side made adverse comments; and both realised that their interlocutors had well-known and recognised positions which could not be challenged at this nascent stage of the revived peace process".
Three massive explosions had ripped through congested areas of India`s financial capital Mumbai on July 13, leaving 25 people dead.
It went on to say that cliché-ridden joint statement expresses the two sides` determination to tackle and talk on all controversial issues.
"The world will now watch with keenness how the two governments follow up the New Delhi talks and translate into reality the sentiments expressed by their foreign ministers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened