Boos as Pak President boasts gains in terror war
Islamabad: Pakistan`s President is claiming successes in his country`s fight against Islamist militancy.
Asif Ali Zardari made the claim during his annual address to a joint session of Parliament on Saturday.
It was the fifth time Zardari has given the address as President, something he claimed was an achievement in itself given the country`s turbulent political history.
Opposition lawmakers shouted insults through much of his address, accusing the government of "looting”.
Zardari said the country`s offensives against militants were "bearing fruit”.
The slogans began even before Fehmida Mirza, the Speaker of the National Assembly or lower house of Parliament, invited Zardari to address the joint session shortly before 2 pm. As Zardari walked to the rostrum, the slogan-shouting increased and opposition lawmakers could be heard saying, "Loot maar bandh karo."
Zardari initially smiled and continued reading his speech in English.
However, he appeared to get flustered as the slogans and boos from the opposition benches continued for almost 15 minutes.
The members of the treasury benches responded by thumping their desks before the opposition finally stopped shouting slogans.
The opposition lawmakers did not quieten down despite several calls from Speaker Mirza for order and maintaining the decorum of the House.
Zardari became the first elected President to address a joint session of Parliament for the fifth consecutive time. His address largely focussed on the Pakistan People`s Party-led government`s efforts to deal with various challenges facing the country, including terrorism and a crippling power crisis.
The address was attended by the three service chiefs, including Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, Chief Ministers and Governors of the four provinces, diplomats and senior officials.
(With Agencies’ inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog