Boost to power supply in former LTTE areas of Sri Lanka
Colombo: The power situation in the former LTTE held Northern Sri Lanka is expected to improve, with the government deciding to rebuild the damaged Kilinochchi power project by next year.
A three-billion-rupee project (USD 2.65 million) to revive the Northern power sector within one year would receive support from Japan, Minister for Mass Media and Communication Keheliya Rambukwella told reporters yesterday.
The power house had been destroyed by the LTTE in 1983, he said.
This will be an accelerated project to complete before May 2011 and would provide power to the national grid, Rambukwella said after the cabinet meeting.
"This would address the power issue in the North and East after we complete this project," he said.
Hailing the assistance of Japan in the development of the country, the minister said of the total foreign aid received last year Japan`s share was 65 percent.
"The 132kv Kilinochchi power house project is part of the development programmes carried out by the government to sustain peace," Rambukwella pointed out.
Work would commence immediately and the plant would be connected to the national power grid by May 2011, he said in reply to a question.
The Cabinet had approved the Power and Energy Minister`s proposal to complete this project on a priority basis in two phases, he said.
Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA) was funding the project by way of grants and soft loans, Rambukwella said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row