Bounty on Saeed is linked to Mumbai attacks: US
Washington: The United States has attributed the inordinate delay in announcing a $10 million US bounty on Lashkar-e-Toiba chief Hafiz Saeed, alleged mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, to its the long drawn review process.
"This is a lot of money for the US taxpayer to put up, and so that process takes some time," State Department Spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters Tuesday denying Saeed`s suggestion that it was intended to pressure Pakistan to reopen supply routes to NATO forces in Afghanistan.
"No, it has everything to do with Mumbai and his brazen flouting of the justice system," she asserted.
"Things have to be correlated. There is an entire review process. There`s an inter-agency rewards committee that has to look through this, and then the secretary has to approve it," said Nuland but could not tell "whether right after the bombing we looked at this at that time."
Asked if the US had talked to Pakistani authorities seeking his arrest, Nuland said: "Absolutely. We have been in communication with Pakistan on this issue."
"The government of Pakistan has regularly, in our conversations with them, pledged its cooperation in the investigations," she said.
Meanwhile, investigative Journal ProPublica said the offer of the reward for Saeed and his deputy Hafiz Abdul Rahman Makki is clearly intended to increase pressure on Lashkar, the ISI and the Pakistani government.
The announcements "show how much US-Pakistani relations have deteriorated as the Obama administration has taken a harder line with Islamabad," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid