Bounty on Saeed is linked to Mumbai attacks: US
Washington: The United States has attributed the inordinate delay in announcing a $10 million US bounty on Lashkar-e-Toiba chief Hafiz Saeed, alleged mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, to its the long drawn review process.
"This is a lot of money for the US taxpayer to put up, and so that process takes some time," State Department Spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters Tuesday denying Saeed`s suggestion that it was intended to pressure Pakistan to reopen supply routes to NATO forces in Afghanistan.
"No, it has everything to do with Mumbai and his brazen flouting of the justice system," she asserted.
"Things have to be correlated. There is an entire review process. There`s an inter-agency rewards committee that has to look through this, and then the secretary has to approve it," said Nuland but could not tell "whether right after the bombing we looked at this at that time."
Asked if the US had talked to Pakistani authorities seeking his arrest, Nuland said: "Absolutely. We have been in communication with Pakistan on this issue."
"The government of Pakistan has regularly, in our conversations with them, pledged its cooperation in the investigations," she said.
Meanwhile, investigative Journal ProPublica said the offer of the reward for Saeed and his deputy Hafiz Abdul Rahman Makki is clearly intended to increase pressure on Lashkar, the ISI and the Pakistani government.
The announcements "show how much US-Pakistani relations have deteriorated as the Obama administration has taken a harder line with Islamabad," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant