`Brain-eating` amoeba kills 40-year-old Pakistani
Islamabad: Naegleria fowleri, a waterborne organism commonly known as the "brain-eating" amoeba, has led to the death of a 40-year-old man in Pakistan`s Karachi port city, the third such case this year.
Tahir Ansari died at the Aga Khan University Hospital in Karachi Saturday, a hospital official told the Dawn newspaper.
The amoeba is said to cause a rare but typically fatal infection called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis.
Ansari became the third person to die due to the waterborne infection in the city this year.
Ansari had recently visited a graveyard, where he washed his hands and face with water from a reservoir, the hospital official said.
Naegleria fowleri, an amoeba found in rivers, lakes, springs, drinking water networks and poorly chlorinated swimming pools, was detected in May 2012 and killed 10 people in the country till October, official records show.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH