British Army’s winning weapon in Afghanistan – Python
Kabul: The British Army is using a 230-metre long snake-like explosive device as an unlikely weapon against roadside bombs, the biggest killer of their soldiers in Afghanistan.
The ‘Python rocket-propelled mine-clearing system’ is attached to a series of rockets and is fired on to an area thought to contain improvised explosive devices (IEDs).
Moments after impact, it explodes, detonating bombs nearby and clearing the way for soldiers to advance forward.
Royal Engineers fired the device for the first time in Afghanistan on Saturday, clearing a suspected IED belt in Nad Ali as part of a major offensive against the Taliban in Helmand province, The Times reports.
Staff Sergeant Mark Eastley, from 30 Armoured Engineer Squadron, said: “It takes your breath away. You see the flash, hear the bang and then feel the shock wave.”
It is believed that Taliban fighters have planted roadside bombs in Marjah, just south of Nad Ali, the focus of the latest NATO offensive.
Meanwhile, Major General Nick Carter, the British commander of NATO forces in southern Afghanistan, said the biggest danger for advancing troops was IEDs.
“What has surprised us is the quantity. They have had a long time to prepare this and they have not been idle in terms of getting it right,” Major General Carter said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip