British soldiers in Afghanistan `freezing sperm`
London: A number of British soldiers posted in war-torn Afghanistan are said to be freezing their sperm in case they are killed or maimed, a media report said.
The British Army has paid a private firm to store sperm samples as an "insurance policy"; wives and girlfriends would use the semen to become pregnant if their loved ones are killed or can no longer father children, `The Sun` reported.
In fact, the exercise follows after the Ministry of Defence issued a memo advising that private sperm freezing and storage for a year could cost as much as GBP 1,000.
"The MoD provides all military personnel with pre-deployment advice on fertility preservation," a MoD spokesman was quoted by the British tabloid as saying.
One 28-year-old Army wife said: "This practice is more common than you think. Army wives and girlfriends already have to deal with their partners maybe not coming home. An added torment is that their dreams of a child are also shattered.”
"If my husband dies, he`s given me permission to use his sperm to have our baby. It`s an insurance policy, should the worst happen."
Fears over childlessness grew after an increase in groin injuries and damage to reproductive organs from IED bombs, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Photo alert! Divyanka Tripathi and Vivek Dahiya’s pre-wedding shoot looks like a fairytale
- Watch: Tiger Shroff, alleged girlfriend Disha Patani's sizzling chemistry is unmissable in 'Befikra'!
- Three Naxals shot dead by security forces in Chhattisgarh
- Drug that helps addicts may benefit cancer patients too
- Come clean by September 30: FM Arun Jaitley to black money holders