British soldiers in Afghanistan `freezing sperm`
London: A number of British soldiers posted in war-torn Afghanistan are said to be freezing their sperm in case they are killed or maimed, a media report said.
The British Army has paid a private firm to store sperm samples as an "insurance policy"; wives and girlfriends would use the semen to become pregnant if their loved ones are killed or can no longer father children, `The Sun` reported.
In fact, the exercise follows after the Ministry of Defence issued a memo advising that private sperm freezing and storage for a year could cost as much as GBP 1,000.
"The MoD provides all military personnel with pre-deployment advice on fertility preservation," a MoD spokesman was quoted by the British tabloid as saying.
One 28-year-old Army wife said: "This practice is more common than you think. Army wives and girlfriends already have to deal with their partners maybe not coming home. An added torment is that their dreams of a child are also shattered.”
"If my husband dies, he`s given me permission to use his sperm to have our baby. It`s an insurance policy, should the worst happen."
Fears over childlessness grew after an increase in groin injuries and damage to reproductive organs from IED bombs, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok