British tourist`s death: Lankan politician held
Colombo: A ruling party politician has been
arrested in Sri Lanka and remanded to custody in connection
with the last week`s killing of a British national in a
southern coastal resort.
A ruling party local politician was among the six people
remanded in custody till January 6 in connection with the
killing of Kuram Shaikah Zaman, a 32 year old British
His girlfriend was also injured in the attack.
Reacting to the killing, the Lanka government said better
security measures were needed to ensure the safety of
"We recognise the need to have better security and we are
working on that," Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena, the deputy
minister of economic development said.
Abeywardena said the attack has highlighted the need for
more security and the authorities were taking measures to make
it safer for holiday makers.
He said the government had offered to fly in the family
members of the Russian woman who escaped the attack with
injuries and is recovering at a hospital in Colombo.
"We are taking care of her medical bills and we are also
offering to bring down any of her family members to be with
her until she is able to travel back home," Abeywardena said.
Sri Lanka has laid emphasis on tourism as a main area of
growth in the island`s post ethnic conflict phase.
Tourist arrivals have increased to over 800,000 this year
from 650,000 in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player