Brother of Afghan national security adviser shot dead
Herat (Afghanistan): Gunmen assassinated a brother of Afghanistan`s national security adviser Rangin Dadfar Spanta outside a public bathhouse in the family`s relatively peaceful home province today, police said.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the killing of Wali Jaan, a public prosecutor in the small town of Karukh in the western province of Herat which borders Iran.
"Today at around 8:30 am (0400 GMT) Wali Jaan, the brother of Dr Spanta, was gunned down. He was attacked by two persons on a motorbike as he came out of a (public) bath," Herat police spokesman Abdul Rauf Ahmadi told a news agency.
"The attackers fled the area," he added.
Herat police chief Rahmatullah Safi confirmed the killing but gave no further details.
Taliban spokesman, Yousuf Ahmadi called a news agency from an unknown location and said the insurgent militia was responsible.
"This person... Who has worked with the government over the last four years was killed in a guerrilla attack by one of our mujahideen in Herat," Ahmadi said.
"He was a key government official," he added.
Spanta is one of the most influential people in the Western-backed government. He served as foreign minister before becoming national security adviser to President Hamid Karzai.
Taliban insurgents have carried out attacks in Herat since the 2001 US-led invasion brought down their regime in Kabul, but most of their activity is concentrated elsewhere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video