Brother of Afghan national security adviser shot dead
Herat (Afghanistan): Gunmen assassinated a brother of Afghanistan`s national security adviser Rangin Dadfar Spanta outside a public bathhouse in the family`s relatively peaceful home province today, police said.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the killing of Wali Jaan, a public prosecutor in the small town of Karukh in the western province of Herat which borders Iran.
"Today at around 8:30 am (0400 GMT) Wali Jaan, the brother of Dr Spanta, was gunned down. He was attacked by two persons on a motorbike as he came out of a (public) bath," Herat police spokesman Abdul Rauf Ahmadi told a news agency.
"The attackers fled the area," he added.
Herat police chief Rahmatullah Safi confirmed the killing but gave no further details.
Taliban spokesman, Yousuf Ahmadi called a news agency from an unknown location and said the insurgent militia was responsible.
"This person... Who has worked with the government over the last four years was killed in a guerrilla attack by one of our mujahideen in Herat," Ahmadi said.
"He was a key government official," he added.
Spanta is one of the most influential people in the Western-backed government. He served as foreign minister before becoming national security adviser to President Hamid Karzai.
Taliban insurgents have carried out attacks in Herat since the 2001 US-led invasion brought down their regime in Kabul, but most of their activity is concentrated elsewhere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi