BSF, BDR agree to increase mutual cooperation
New Delhi: Border guarding forces of India
and Bangladesh on Thursday agreed to increase mutual cooperation in
restricting the cross-border movement of "criminals" while
ensuring that innocent people are not killed on the frontier.
Bangladesh also promised action against the Indian
insurgents who may be operating from its soil, a list of whom
was handed over to it by India, BSF Director General Raman
The BDR is trying to ascertain the presence of these
insurgents on their side of the border, he said after signing
a joint record of discussions with Bangladesh Rifles DG Major
General Mainul Islam, who is on a four-day visit here.
Islam, who is leading a 19-member delegation, assured
that the territory of Bangladesh will not be used for
terrorist activities against any country.
Srivastava also said while "criminals" who violate curfew
imposed at night on the border need to be restricted, "we have
agreed to ensure that no innocent civilian is shot by the
troops. We have no reason for fire at innocent civilians."
The chiefs also agreed to ensure that the spirit of the
India-Bangladesh joint statement issued during Prime Minister
Sheikh Hasina`s visit to New Delhi in January this year
percolates down to ground level forces on the border.
Islam said he has given to BSF the draft of a joint
border management plan, which has been cleared by his
government, to ensure better coordination between the two
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report