Burney asks India, Pakistan to release prisoners
Islamabad: The governments of India and
Pakistan should take steps for the early release of nationals
of both countries who are in each other`s jails and for the
repatriation of prisoners who have completed their sentences,
leading rights activist Ansar Burney said on Tuesday.
Burney, a former Minister for Human Rights, said the
prisoners, including fishermen, should be freed and
repatriated in the interest of human dignity.
There are dozens of prisoners in Indian and Pakistani
jails who completed their prison terms decades ago but are
still waiting to be released, he contended.
"During this period, they have lost their mental
balance and became lunatics or contracted diseases like
tuberculosis," he said.
Burney said there were "more than 60 cases" of
Pakistani prisoners in jails in the Indian state of Punjab
who had completed their sentences but had not been released.
"After the completion of an Indian prisoner’s
sentence, his or her detention or confinement in Pakistani
prisons is against the constitution, law of the land and
against the human rights charter of the United Nations," he
Burney has requested the Presidents and Prime
Ministers of India and Pakistan to direct their governments to
release all prisoners who were in jail even after the
completion of their sentences.
He asked both governments to treat the prisoners as
humans and not as enemies.
"I have full hope that the Indian and Pakistani
governments will definitely consider my request on
humanitarian grounds and release all prisoners who have
completed their sentences, including fishermen," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt