Bus crash kills 17 in Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least 17 people, including five women, were killed and several others injured on Monday when a bus carrying a group of Muslim pilgrims plunged into a nearly dry river in south-eastern Bangladesh, officials said.
The bus carrying 43 people had started from Gazipur on Saturday to join a Muslim spiritual function at Maizbhandari shrine near the south-eastern port city of Chittagong.
The accident happened in Cox`s Bazar district, 296 kilometers south of the Bangladeshi capital.
"Sixteen of them died instantly and a minor boy succumbed to his wounds as he was being rushed to the hospital," a police official told a news agency.
Five of the dead were women and 18 people were injured in the incident, the Daily Star reported.
The bus fell into a dry part of the Matamuhuri river early morning after breaking the railing of Matamuhuri bridge some 30 feet above the sandy river bed.
The police official said most other passengers were critically wounded as the bus plunged into the river.
Army troops from a nearby military installation joined the rescue campaign.
The police official said the passengers were residents of suburban Gazipur at the outskirts of the capital Dhaka and they had gone to join the Muslim spiritual function.
They planned to visit the beach resort town of Cox`s Bazar during their journey back to home.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed