Bus plunge into ditch in Bangladesh, killing 14
Dhaka: A bus plunged into a roadside ditch
in southwestern Bangladesh on Friday, killing at least 15 people
and injuring 30 others near Pantaparha in Madaripur.
The incident took place around 11am, when driver of the
Barisal-bound bus from Khulna lost control over bus, said
Nazrul Hossain, the district Superintendent of Police.
"The police immediately started a rescue operation with
help of locals. Thirteen bodies were recovered from the bus
and another person died after being taken to hospital in a
critical condition," Hossain was quoted as saying by The Daily
Nineteen of the injured have been admitted to Kalkini
Upazila Health Complex and Madaripur Sadar Hospital, the
police official said.
According to Noman Chowdhury, surgeon, all other
passengers in the bus were injured in different degrees.
Shajahan Khan, Shipping minister, who is also chief of
the Transport Workers` Federation, visited the accident site.
The bus was recovered more than three hours after the
accident, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda