Busy Indo-Bangla land port hit by truckers strike
Dhaka: Truckers in Bangladesh on Thursday
enforced a strike on the western Benapole Land Port with
India, protesting the reported arrest of a fellow worker on
the Indian side and bringing the trade-related activities to a
complete halt on the busy facility.
A police official stationed at the crucial land port
said the striking truckers were demanding the release of a
Bangladeshi truck driver allegedly detained by Indian police
He, however, could not tell why the driver was
arrested as he entered the Indian side of the border with a
A local correspondent reached here by phone said the
Indian police arrested him as he was roaming around the area
awaiting the unloading of the truck on the Indian side.
The truckers on Tuesday had enforced a two-hour halt
on work demanding the release of the fellow transport worker.
The lawmaker of the constituency Afil Uddin and other
officials were negotiating with the transport workers
persuading them to withdraw the strike.
They said efforts were underway to get the Bangladeshi
driver released on bail as early as possible through talks
with Indian authorities.
Everyday, some 3,000 trucks from both sides, most of
them from India, load and unload goods at the border.
According to an estimate a day`s suspension of work at
the Benapole Port deprives Bangladesh of an amount of revenue
worth Taka 60 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad