Canada asks Lanka to start talks with Tamil groups
Toronto: Canada has asked Sri Lanka to
start talks and the reconciliation process with the Tamil
groups, saying such a step is crucial for lasting peace in the
"After 30 years of war, reconciliation is crucial for
lasting peace in Sri Lanka. Canada awaits to see what steps
the Government of Sri Lanka will take towards this
reconciliation," Deepak Obhrai, Parliamentary Secretary to the
Minister of Foreign Affairs, told Sri Lanka`s new High
Commissioner Chitranganee Wagiswara during a meeting.
"Canada urges the government of Sri Lanka for an early
safe return and resettlement of the approximately 100,000
individuals who remain displaced," Obhrai said.
He said, "Canada is encouraged by the return of close
to 160,000 internally displaced persons to their homes."
Obhrai pointed out that Canada encourages the
government of Sri Lanka to allow access by NGOs and the media
to camps and resettlement areas and to continue to pursue
effective coordination with humanitarian agencies and donors.
"It is high time that the government of Sri Lanka lift
the state of emergency as that the conflict is over," he said.
Obhrai told the High Commissioner that Sri Lanka
remains a priority for Canada.
Canada looks forward to working with the Government of
Sri Lanka to address many of these issues, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan