Canada blacklists Pakistani Taliban
Ottawa: Canada designated the Pakistani Taliban, a militant group behind a wave of bombings in Pakistan and a foiled plot to set off a New York City blast, as a terrorist organisation on Tuesday.
Putting the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan on the terrorism blacklist is "an essential part of our efforts to combat terrorism and keep our communities safe," said Vic Toews, Canada`s minister of public safety.
He noted the group has claimed responsibility for "multiple" suicide attacks in Pakistan, as well as a May 2010 bombing attempt of New York`s Times Square.
Behind a campaign of bombings that have killed over 3,500 people in Pakistan in the last four years, the TTP became the 43rd group on Canada`s blacklist, which includes al Qaeda, Colombia`s leftist FARC rebels and Hamas, the Palestinian rulers of the Gaza Strip.
The move means that people in Canada and Canadians abroad are prohibited from "knowingly dealing with assets owned or controlled by the TTP" and that it will now be an offense to "knowingly participate in, contribute to or facilitate certain activities of" the group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why