Canada rejects NATO call to Afghan stay past 2011
Ottawa: Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon has reaffirmed Canada`s 2011 exit from Afghanistan despite reported pleas from NATO`s chief for an extension of Canada`s deployment in the war-torn country.
"Our government is abiding by the motion passed in Parliament in 2008 -- that is that our combat forces will leave by 2011," Cannon said.
Earlier, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen remarked while visiting a Canadian development project in Kandahar, in southern Afghanistan, that he would like to see Canada stay beyond 2011.
"Of course I`m not going to interfere with the domestic politics in individual allied nations, but seen from an alliance point of view, I would strongly regret if that became the final outcome of the Canadian considerations," he was quoted as saying by public broadcaster CBC.
"I would like to take this opportunity to express my strong appreciation of the significant Canadian contribution to our mission in Afghanistan," he said.
"At the end of the day, it is a question of our own security. We cannot allow Afghanistan, once again, to become a safe haven for terrorists. And I also think it is in Canada`s interest to ensure a peaceful and stable Afghanistan."
Canada currently has some 2,800 troops based in Kandahar as part of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict
- Check out pic: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's “Star Wars” meeting!
- AgustaWestland deal: Congress says govt trying to vilify its leaders
- Arvind Kejriwal admits for first time, odd-even not a long-term remedy
- European Central Bank scraps 500-euro note