Canada worried over reports of ship carrying Lankan refugees
Toronto: Canada has expressed its concern
over a news report of a ship carrying illegal Sri Lankan
migrants to one of its western province, saying some of the
asylum seekers could be members of the vanquished terror
Canadian Public Safety Minister Vic Toews yesterday
said that he has got a message for the illegal migrants ?-
they were not welcome in the country.
The minister made it clear that while the Canadian
government is committed to protecting genuine refugees, it
would thwart those who try to abuse its immigration policies.
Toews was commenting in Toronto on reports of
Liberation Tigers of Tamil Elam (LTTE) members heading towards
the British Columbia coast.
Regular briefings on the Thai ship carrying the migrants were being received, he said. Toews did not comment on the plans of whether the vessel was being tracked or being
The minister said he is concerned about the occupants
on that ship, adding it is important to send a message that
Canada should not be viewed as an easy entry into North
The reality of "marine human smuggling" is one of the
many terrorist threats Canada faces today, he said.
The LTTE are behind operations that smuggle people
into Canada, the minister said. But he did not comment on the
specific details on what the government is doing about the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan