Car suicide bomb kills three in NW Pakistan: Officials
Bannu: A suicide bomber in a car killed at least two troops and a civilian on Tuesday in a Pakistani tribal area where the army has launched an offensive against Taliban militants.
The attacker detonated his bomb in Spinwam village of North Waziristan tribal district when he was intercepted on the approach to a checkpoint, officials said.
Pakistan`s armed forces have used jet fighters, tanks and artillery in the offensive, which began over a week ago, killing around 300 people they have described as militants, though the number and identity of the victims are impossible to verify.
"At least two soldiers and a civilian have embraced martyrdom," a security official told AFP.
A military statement said that troops stopped the car suicide bomber 100 metres (yards) away from a checkpost near a hospital and the action averted major casualties.
The Ansar-ul-Mujahedin militant group claimed responsibility, with spokesman Abu Baseer saying it was the start of a counter-offensive against Pakistani troops by the Taliban.
"It is beginning of our offensive and we will launch attacks against government and local tribesmen if they form anti-Taliban force," Baseer told AFP via telephone from an unknown location.
Meanwhile, Pakistani jets and helicopter gunships targeted militant hideouts at several place in North Waziristan, officials said.
The offensive has seen North Waziristan hit by more than a week of shelling and air raids, and more than 470,000 people have fled ahead of an impending ground assault, with many going to the nearby town of Bannu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next