Carpet bombing of Pak by drones must stop: Bilawal
Washington: Arguing strongly against what he called the "carpet bombing" of Pakistan, PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has said US drone attacks were turning out to be counter-productive due to the civilian toll they take.
The leader-in-waiting of Pakistan`s ruling party called for an end to the US drone attacks, which he said were a violation of his country`s sovereignty and international law.
"The continuous carpet bombing of Pakistan by drones is not only counterproductive on the war on terror, it`s also an egregious violation of our sovereignty and must end," Bilawal Bhutto told the MSNBC news in an interview.
"It`s a violation of the US War Powers Act as well as international law. America was supposed to be that city on a hill, setting an example to the world. I do hope it returns to that status soon," said the son of Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, and slain former prime minister, Benazir Bhutto.
Bilawal refuted the American argument that drone attacks were an important tool in the war against terrorism.
"No, I actually completely disagree. The drone attacks have not caught any big boys. They`ve been counterproductive with the amount of civilian casualties that they`ve had," he argued.
"You can ask your own (US) military, they admit, barring Osama bin Laden, Pakistan, when provided actionable intelligence, has caught, captured or killed more al Qaeda operatives than any other nation on earth," he told the MSNBC.
Bilawal said both Pakistan and the United States, were working to resolve their differences.
"And I`m hopeful that they will resolve their differences because we have a common goal and we can only achieve it together," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?