Case against Fonseka for employing Army deserters
Colombo: The Sri Lankan government has
slapped a fresh case on detained former Army Chief Sarath
Fonseka for allegedly employing military deserters during the
Presidential campaign earlier this year, the poll which he
contested unsuccessfully against President Mahinda Rajapakse.
The Attorney General`s department filed a fresh case
against Fonseka, who is now an opposition lawmaker. He is
accused of employing 10 army deserters in the run-up to the
January presidential poll, a senior attorney told PTI.
The case was filed yesterday, the attorney said.
Meanwhile, Sri Lankan Attorney General on Tuesday
indicted the mother of Danuna Tilakaranthne, the son in law
of Fonseka over money laundering charges he has been ordered
to appear in court on August 5 to face these charges.
Tilakaranthne, who is reported missing by the
police, is wanted for his involvement in the case of weapon
procurement by Hicorp, the company he was heading when
Fonseka was the Army Chief.
He had allegedly earned money through commissions
from weapons procurements he made for the Sri Lankan military
during the last phase of the LTTE war.
Colombo Fort Magistrate and Additional District Judge
Lanka Jayaratne yesterday refused to grant permission to
Fonseka`s two daughters to speak to him over telephone.
The Judge observed that no orders had been given
earlier to Fonseka to speak to his daughters over telephone.
At the outset, Senior Defence Counsel Nalin
Ladduwahetti moved court to grant permission for his client`s
daughters to speak to him over the telephone.
Hicorp (Pvt) Limited Director Wellington Dehoedt and
Fonseka were further remanded till July 26.
The second suspect in the case Fonseka`s son-in-law
Danuna Tillekeratne was not present in Court. Earlier, Court
issued an open warrant for his arrest. Later, Court
confiscated his assets. The Judge also observed that the CID
had produced the suspects under the Public Property Act.
Earlier, Chief Inspector Mohan Siriwardena said
Dehoet had forwarded several forged documents to the Army to
obtain the contract to his company.
Senior Defence Counsel Sarath Siriwardena, Jayantha
Dias Nanayakkara and Shiraz Noordeen appeared for Dehoet.
The case will be called again on July 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai