Case against Musharraf in judges` detention withdrawn
Islamabad: The lawyer who had filed a petition in the judges` detention case has withdrawn his complaint against former Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf.
The decision was taken by Advocate Chaudhry Mohammad Aslam Ghumman a day before the hearing of the case on Saturday by the Islamabad Anti-Terrorism Court.
According to Dawn News, the case was to be heard at General Musharraf`s Chak Shahzad farmhouse, which has been declared a sub-jail.
The judges` detention case was registered by the Secretariat Police Station on August 11, 2009 on the complaint of Advocate Ghumman.
Ghumman had sought legal proceedings against Musharraf for confining 60 judges of the superior courts for over five months at their homes and restraining them from administering justice.
Ghumman said he had withdrawn the complaint in the larger national interest.
Advocate Ghumman said he would neither appear before the court nor press for the prosecution of Musharraf, adding that it was up to the court to decide the fate of the case against him.
He rejected reports that he had withdrawn the complaint under any pressure or fear and said he had never been threatened by any quarter.
The complaint against Gen Musharraf was registered under section 344 of the Pakistan Panel Code. The offence is a bailable and entails a maximum imprisonment of three years.
Musharraf may get life imprisonment if he is convicted by the court under this section, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’