Cell phones go silent in Karachi
Karachi: Mobile phones suddenly fell silent across Pakistan`s commercial hub of Karachi on Friday following intelligence reports about terrorists planning to trigger remote-controlled explosions, the fourth such disruption to the cellular services in the bustling city this year.
The decision to suspend mobile phone services was taken as there were intelligence reports that terrorists planned to carry out widespread target killings and trigger off remote-controlled explosives, sources in Sindh province`s Home Ministry said.
The move, which came suddenly, was aimed at "countering these terrorist threats although we realise it causes great inconvenience to the people," a source said.
The decision to suspend mobile and cellular services from 10.30 am to 6.30 pm caught the people by surprise and caused them great problems.
"I don`t understand this strategy of the government. What guarantee is there terrorists will not attempt to carry out their threats after 6.30 pm," Kashif, a Karachi resident, said.
This is the fourth time this year that the government has suspended mobile phone services in Pakistan`s financial hub.
There is also talk about suspending the services for a while in Peshawar city due to terrorist threats.
Network operators said they were informed about the suspension at 9.00 am.
Suspending cellular services in light of terrorism threats on important days like Eid and Ashura has become a norm. However service suspension on such days comes with prior notice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs