China contradicts Pak`s claim to run Gwadar port
Beijing: China on Tuesday contradicted
Pakistan`s claim that it has "acceded" to its request to take
over the operations at the strategic deep-sea Gwadar port in
Denying that the issue figured during the recent visit
of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani here, Chinese Foreign
Ministry, spokesperson, Jiang Yu said, "Regarding that
specific cooperative project, I have not heard of it. It`s my
understanding that during the visit last week this issue was
not touched upon."
Asked whether she was denying that any agreement was
reached on this she said "as far as I know, the topic was not
brought up during the visit last week".
Jiang`s comments contradicted assertions made by
Pakistan Defence Minister, Ahmad Mukhtar in Islamabad that
"Chinese government has acceded to Pakistan`s request to take
over operations at Gwadar port as soon as the terms of
agreement with the Singapore Port Authority (SPA) expire".
Mukhtar accompanied Gilani during the just concluded
visit. Pakistan`s official APP news agency quoted Mukhtar as
saying that Pakistan appreciated that the Chinese government
agrees to run the port, but would be more grateful "if a naval
base is constructed at the site of Gwadar for Pakistan."
Commenting on Pakistan Minister`s remarks Zhao
Gancheng, director of South Asia Studies at the state run
Shanghai Institute of International Studies, said "Pakistan`s
hope of cooperation with China in building a naval base is
nothing but a proposal."
"The suggestion is natural given the fact that China
helped Pakistan construct Gwadar port (in Arabian Sea)," he
told state run Global Times daily.
As a major world trade power, it is obvious that
China has its own interests in the Indian Ocean, just like
other countries in the region, including India, Zhao said.
"It serves China`s interests to see peace and
stability in the region so any speculation on China-Pakistan
cooperation will be meaningless," he said.
On the counter terrorism cooperation between China
and Pakistan, Jiang said "Pakistan is an important country in
South Asia and made important contribution to international
"International community should give Pakistan more
understanding and support. The stability and development of
Pakistan is closely linked to stability and development of the
South Asia and we hope that the international community should
step up cooperation on counter-terrorism and in the process of
counter-terrorism; countries` sovereignty and territorial
integrity should be honestly respected," she said.
About the reports of the presence of Chinese defence
personnel at the Karachi Naval base which was attacked by
Taliban militants she said Chinese technical personnel who
were present at the naval base when the attack took place have
been safely relocated and there is no report of any
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'