China decommissions first nuclear submarine
Beijing: China has decommissioned its first nuclear-powered submarine after more than 40 years of service in the military, the People`s Liberation Army (PLA) Daily reported Tuesday.
The submarine`s nuclear devices have been properly disposed of and scientists have decontaminated the warehouse where nuclear items were stored during the past 40 years, reported Xinhua.
The submarine will be used as an exhibit after it is released from military service, according to the newspaper.
China`s first nuclear-powered submarine, the Long March 1, was launched in 1970. It was commissioned to the PLA navy in 1974.
The Long March 1 belongs to the Han Class nuclear-powered submarine (Type 091), which was produced based on technologies of the 1950s and 1960s and has short range weapons.
With a displacement of 5,000 tonnes, the class is usually equipped with six torpedo tubes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet