China decommissions first nuclear submarine
Beijing: China has decommissioned its first nuclear-powered submarine after more than 40 years of service in the military, the People`s Liberation Army (PLA) Daily reported Tuesday.
The submarine`s nuclear devices have been properly disposed of and scientists have decontaminated the warehouse where nuclear items were stored during the past 40 years, reported Xinhua.
The submarine will be used as an exhibit after it is released from military service, according to the newspaper.
China`s first nuclear-powered submarine, the Long March 1, was launched in 1970. It was commissioned to the PLA navy in 1974.
The Long March 1 belongs to the Han Class nuclear-powered submarine (Type 091), which was produced based on technologies of the 1950s and 1960s and has short range weapons.
With a displacement of 5,000 tonnes, the class is usually equipped with six torpedo tubes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming