China executes Pak man on drug smuggling charges
Shanghai: China has executed a Pakistani man, Syed Zahid Hussain Shah, over charges of drug smuggling despite last-ditch appeals for clemency, his family and human rights groups have claimed.
According to the BBC, Shah, who was arrested in 2008 and was convicted last year, was put to death by lethal injection in Shanghai on Wednesday.
Four other Pakistanis arrested with Shah were sentenced to life imprisonment.
Shah’s family members and human rights groups had earlier urged the Chinese government to stop the execution and asked the Pakistani government to take up appeals on the 35-year-old’s behalf.
However, there was no comment from either government.
“Executing someone for drug-related offences violates internationally accepted standards for imposing the death penalty,” said Sam Zarifi, Amnesty International’s Asia-Pacific director.
The Asian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) had said that the death penalty could have been turned into life sentence with a single call from Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari.
“It is the primary duty of the Pakistan government to come forward and save the life of any Pakistani citizen who is made a victim because of the wrong advice from his lawyer and the sheer negligence of staff of the Pakistan embassy in Beijing,” the AHRC had said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Shah’s cousin, Tasneem Fatima, claims that he was framed for a crime he did not commit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview