China hopes elections will mark new start in Afghanistan
Beijing: China has hoped that presidential elections in Afghanistan will mark a new start in the war-ravaged country and termed the elections as "generally smooth".
China`s Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said yesterday that China hopes Afghanistan`s presidential elections will be a new start for the country`s unity and stability.
As Afghanistan`s friendly neighbour, China respects the Afghan people` s choice, Hong said in a statement, noting that "China noticed the election is generally smooth."
China hopes relevant sides in Afghanistan will properly handle differences through dialogue so as to realise broad-based and inclusive peace and reconciliation at an early date, he said.
His comments came amid reports that yesterday`s polling for Afghanistan`s presidential election concluded with a wide participation of voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian Premier League: List of players bought by franchises at Saturday's auction
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode