China, Pak conclude secret deal on nuclear reactor
Washington: China has secretly entered into an agreement with Pakistan to construct a third nuclear reactor at Chashma in Punjab province that the Obama administration says will violate Beijing`s promises under an international anti-nuclear weapons accord, a media report said.
"According to US intelligence and diplomatic officials, the secret agreement for the Chashma 3 reactor was signed in Beijing during the visit by a delegation from the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission from February 15 to 18," The Washington Free Beacon reported.
The agreement calls for the state-run China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) to construct a 1,000-megawatt power plant at Chashma, where two earlier Chinese reactors were built, the American website said.
While there was no confirmation of the news story from Pakistan or China, The Washington Free Beacon quoted unnamed State Department official, who said that such a Chinese move would be in violation of its international promise.
China, which joined NSG in 2005, agreed not to sell additional reactors to Pakistan beyond the two reactors sold earlier.
Under NSG guidelines China is not permitted to sell nuclear goods to any country that is not part of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
"Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) participating governments have discussed the issue of China`s expansion of nuclear cooperation with Pakistan at the last several NSG plenary sessions," a State Department official was quoted as saying.
"We remain concerned that a transfer of new reactors at Chashma appears to extend beyond the cooperation that was `grandfathered` in when China was approved for membership in the NSG," the official told The Washington Free Beacon, which reported that the US is expected to protest the sale at an upcoming NSG meeting in June.
According to Henry Sokolski, director of the Nonproliferation Policy Education Center, China appears to be keeping the nuclear deal secret to avoid international opposition.
Mark Hibbs, from the Carnegie Endowment`s Nuclear Policy Programme, said that there is nothing in the NSG guidelines which prevents the Chashma 3 reactor sale.
"The rub is that the NSG guidelines are voluntary understandings of governments," Hibbs told the Free Beacon.
"There is no enforcement mechanism. There is, however, a forum for dealing with information that suggests that a participating government is not upholding the guidelines," he said.
According to Hibbs when China joined the NSG in 2004, it provided the NSG a list of nuclear items which said it intended to provide to Pakistan under a longstanding bilateral agreement between the two countries.
"This list did not include additional power reactors beyond those already agreed to and under construction in 2004," he argued.
However, China has been arguing that the additional nuclear power reactors to Pakistan are allowed under its earlier contracts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception