‘China positive on linking Tibet with Lumbini’
Kathmandu: China has responded positively to
Nepal`s request to extend its railway line from Tibet to
Kathmandu and ultimately establish a link with Lord Buddha`s
birthplace Lumbini, located close to the Indo-Nepal border,
Nepalese Deputy Premier Narayan Kaji Shrestha has said.
Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao, during a meeting with
his Nepalese counterpart Baburam Bhattarai here yesterday,
said Beijing would consider Nepal`s request as a "serious
China is currently engaged in constructing a railway line
linking the mainland to Khasa -- on the Sino-Nepal border --
around 110-km east of Kathmandu.
Shrestha, who also holds the Foreign Affairs portfolio,
said Wen was requested to extend the Chinese rail network upto
Kathmandu and also build a domestic railway line within Nepal
to connect Lumbini.
"As China has already formulated a plan to extend its
railway line upto China-Nepal border, there is the possibility
of extending it within the Nepalese land as per the request
made by the Nepal government and we will consider this as a
serious matter," Wen was quoted as saying by Shrestha.
The minister said Nepal has also requested Wen to provide
financial assistance, some in the form of grants and others in
the form of soft loan, for constructing hydropower projects
and establishing Special Economic Zones within the country to
speed up economic development.
Wen took a positive note to the demands, he said.
According to sources close to the Chinese Premier, Wen
told Bhattarai during the meeting that Beijing wants to see
strong relations between Nepal and India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed