‘China positive on linking Tibet with Lumbini’
Kathmandu: China has responded positively to
Nepal`s request to extend its railway line from Tibet to
Kathmandu and ultimately establish a link with Lord Buddha`s
birthplace Lumbini, located close to the Indo-Nepal border,
Nepalese Deputy Premier Narayan Kaji Shrestha has said.
Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao, during a meeting with
his Nepalese counterpart Baburam Bhattarai here yesterday,
said Beijing would consider Nepal`s request as a "serious
China is currently engaged in constructing a railway line
linking the mainland to Khasa -- on the Sino-Nepal border --
around 110-km east of Kathmandu.
Shrestha, who also holds the Foreign Affairs portfolio,
said Wen was requested to extend the Chinese rail network upto
Kathmandu and also build a domestic railway line within Nepal
to connect Lumbini.
"As China has already formulated a plan to extend its
railway line upto China-Nepal border, there is the possibility
of extending it within the Nepalese land as per the request
made by the Nepal government and we will consider this as a
serious matter," Wen was quoted as saying by Shrestha.
The minister said Nepal has also requested Wen to provide
financial assistance, some in the form of grants and others in
the form of soft loan, for constructing hydropower projects
and establishing Special Economic Zones within the country to
speed up economic development.
Wen took a positive note to the demands, he said.
According to sources close to the Chinese Premier, Wen
told Bhattarai during the meeting that Beijing wants to see
strong relations between Nepal and India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir